Thursday, October 14, 2010

The wild ride of devotion--Two more hymns from Ramprasad Sen

(A quick note before we start: Brace yourself, it's going to be bumpy! Ready? Go!)
__________________________________________________________________________________

Does suffering scare me? O Mother,
Let me suffer in this world. Do I require more?
Suffering runs ahead of me and runs after me.
I carry it on my head and set up a stand
In the bazaar to peddle it.
I'm a poison worm, I thrive on poison.
I carry it where ever I go.

Prasad says: Mother lift off my load.
I need a little rest. It's amazing!
Others brag about their happiness,
I brag about my suffering.

Grace & mercy, poem 28, page 38

_______________________________________________________________________________________

All right, Death,
Here I am.

I've drawn a circle around me
With Kali's name.

The Great Death, Kali on His chest,
Has taken Her feet to His heart.

Remembering that Her feet
Cancel all fear,
Who needs to fear Death?

(Grace & Mercy, poem 50, page 58)


Bakhti is the yoga of devotion, a love so intense you join with the Divine. It's not for everyone nor is it an easy, safe or sure path. You can be full of ecstatic power one minute and the tiniest distraction will bring you crashing the next. Is it healthy? Possibly not, but it's honest and authentic. Besides, there's no hiding from the Divine.

Ramprasad's relationship with the Mother was one of extremes: love, tenderness, pride, anger, despair, and, if not hatred, there's sullen rancor. He examined all of these feelings and offered them back to the Source of his inspiration.

I had a teacher from another path who said that there's really only one true, proper sacrifice anyone can offer--ourselves, our lives in all their messy, scruffy, scraggly glory. And don't hold back, because S/He will know and, besides this is a transaction where honesty is paramount.

Take a close look at Kali Maa's ornaments. The necklace of skulls aren't trophies, they are gifts from Her devotees--our egos. The same does for Her girdle of severed hands--our actions. Her tongue laps up our imperfections, which She transforms by grinding them with Her teeth. But She never takes these from us without our permission, not until we say, "Please take them, Mother. I've been selfish and kept them from you for too long."

Jai Maa!

No comments:

Post a Comment